Anderson Clan
Oak & Silver Creek Townships, Mills County, Iowa
::  Home  ::


Oak & Silver Townships, Mills County, Iowa - 1875

Mills County, organized and established in 1851, was named for a young officer from Burlington, Iowa. Frederick Mills, a Yale graduate and lawyer, was enlisted and commissioned as an officer during the Mexican War from 1846-1848. He was killed August 20, 1847, leading a charge after General Santa Ana in the Battle of Cherubusco. In 1851, Mills County was named in memory of this hero.

The first settlement was called Rushville by the Mormons who arrived in 1846. Coonsville, named after Dr. Liberius Coons, a Mormon, first doctor and founder of the community, was changed to present-day Glenwood in 1853.

Source: Mills County, Iowa

Note: Buckley Anderson was the first purchaser of 40 acres of public land located in the northeast corner of Section 28 (see highlighted "BB") of Oak Township. Cutler's Camp was located primarily in Section 7 of Silver Creek Township (see highlighted area).

::  Home  ::

2012 The Anderson Clan | Contact Webmaster 2012 The Anderson Clan